Board of Directors
The purpose of the Board of Directors is to guide and grow SVC’s work toward a world free from sexual violence. Board members serve two-year terms and help SVC with strategic governance, fundraising, fiduciary oversight, and support the executive director who manages day-to-day operations.
We are currently seeking a diverse and enthusiastic group of candidates to join our volunteer board. If you want to fight for a world free from sexual violence, please see our board position description and application link below.
To the best of their ability, the SVC board of directors is responsible for:
- Ensure the mission of SVC is well understood and embraced by the board, and to work with the executive director to occasionally evaluate the mission and purpose.
- Help set short and long-term SVC strategic priorities, and dedicate resources to achieve these goals.
- Serve on at least one board committee, including: Governance, Finance, Fundraising, and Executive Committee.
- Support board bylaws, structures, committees, and policies to achieve healthy governance.
- Prepare in advance, attend, and participate in board meetings; ask questions and exercise independent judgment to take responsibility for making board decisions.
- Recruit and support new board members, and develop succession plans for board leadership.
Supporting the Executive Director
- Contribute to the hiring and annual performance evaluation of the executive director; collaborate to determine how best to support their day-to-day work.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the executive director as they lead SVC and implement the Strategic Plan.
- Oversee financial performance and monitor financial results for risk management, service delivery, and commitment to mission.
- Provide oversight of SVC financials to ensure federal and state reporting compliance, including audits of financial statements and approving the annual budget.
- Support SVC fundraising efforts and actively participate through personal contributions and/or generating support for SVC.
Acting and serving as an SVC ambassador
- Make a meaningful annual contribution that aligns with your financial capacity.
- Attend SVC events as an ambassador to establish connections that can benefit SVC’s mission and programming.
- Spread the word about SVC’s impact in your networks and communities.
Join Our Board
We are seeking a diverse and enthusiastic group of candidates to join our volunteer board. Joining the board is a great way to build community with other folks fighting for a world free of sexual violence. Because we are a small and active board, the most important quality of any candidate is a commitment and passion for SVC’s mission, and a willingness to energetically engage and support the organization.
At this time, we’ve identified these specific needs as an organization. If you see yourself in even one of these needs, we especially encourage you to apply. Prior board experience is a large consideration.
- Experience in a board leadership role
- Legal knowledge
- Human Resource experience
- Accounting and/or finance experience
If you believe in a world free from sexual violence and building community around shared values of resilience, justice, and advocacy, we want you to apply. Complete our application.
- Board application deadline: August 14
- Candidate interviews with Executive Director and board members: August – September
- Board votes on new members: September 14
- New board term starts: October
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions: [email protected].